For the Sake of the Call

...A small glimpse into the life of a girl who adores her Savior, Christ, and finds her delight in serving Him.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

I'm the eldest of five children in my family and love them all dearly. :) I've been a Christian since the age of five and have served in church ministry alongside my family for the past fifteen years. I love to sing and enjoy playing violin, piano, and harp, among other instruments. I've worked in the worship ministries of this area since the age of seven. I think I've found one of my life works in composing music; the Lord has sent many songs to me, and I'm trying to be faithful to share them with those for whom they were meant. I teach music lessons several days a week and have realized what a joy it is to influence so many children and others for good. Soon, I'll be opening a music store, Hearts' Home Acoustics, in Boerne, Texas with some precious friends. We'll specialize in exellent instruments and will have a music school, too. I've just graduated from Louisiana Baptist University with a major in Christian Education, a major in Music, and a minor in Bible Studies and Theology. What a blessing to have completed that chapter in my life! Last, but certainly not least, I'm now engaged and soon will be marrying my best friend. How abundant is God's goodness...

Saturday, November 04, 2006

As a teacher, I've walked through some trying times with students. I've been there to comfort, when hands are sore and minds are weary. I've been there to encourage, when older brothers are mercilessly teasing the practicing sibling. I've been right beside students, as their dear ones have grown up, moved away, gone to war, married, had the first children, etc. Through this all, I've learned so much about the human heart and about the worth of sharing my own when another's soul is needy.

Tonight, my teacher's heart was grieved more deeply than I've ever known in the past...my best student. Receiving a call late tonight, I heard an emotion-burdened voice saying her brother was killed yesterday in Iraq. For several moments I couldn't speak...a few seconds found me scarcely able to draw breath. I didn't know what to do, but I knew I had to go tell the girl I loved her and that I was more sorry than I even knew how to express. I've known them all now for the past fifteen years.

The family's home is only four minutes from my own, and I went there tonight with my mother and brother, Brent. The family clung to us, and it seemed the hands that had wiped away a multitude of tears would never let go of the strength to be found in our embrace. Oh, how we cried...

On the table was the boy's last portrait...steady eyes, handsome face, gentle expression. I was greeted by the last gaze of one who had reached a mere twenty-one years, my own age, and something deep inside me started to pulse with a terrible pain. What must God have thought, as He watched His Son be sacrificed for those who could not save themselves?

One thing is certain; He is well-acquainted with our grief, and He has known every sorrow. "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 Pray for me, as I strive to love a precious girl through the darkest days her soul has ever known. We've always been like sisters, and I feel as though a part of my heart has lost a brother, too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paige said...

Oh, Amy...I'm so, so sorry. *wipes tears from eyes* I will be praying for the family and also for you, as you walk through this dark time. Remember our Father is the God of comfort and healing.

2 Corinthians 1:3-7
2 Corinthians 4:8-10, 16-18.

I love you, sis. xoxo.

November 05, 2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thank you, sweet friend. The prayers are appreciated and so is the love...

Great Scripture, also, dear one. :)

November 06, 2006 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home