For the Sake of the Call

...A small glimpse into the life of a girl who adores her Savior, Christ, and finds her delight in serving Him.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

I'm the eldest of five children in my family and love them all dearly. :) I've been a Christian since the age of five and have served in church ministry alongside my family for the past fifteen years. I love to sing and enjoy playing violin, piano, and harp, among other instruments. I've worked in the worship ministries of this area since the age of seven. I think I've found one of my life works in composing music; the Lord has sent many songs to me, and I'm trying to be faithful to share them with those for whom they were meant. I teach music lessons several days a week and have realized what a joy it is to influence so many children and others for good. Soon, I'll be opening a music store, Hearts' Home Acoustics, in Boerne, Texas with some precious friends. We'll specialize in exellent instruments and will have a music school, too. I've just graduated from Louisiana Baptist University with a major in Christian Education, a major in Music, and a minor in Bible Studies and Theology. What a blessing to have completed that chapter in my life! Last, but certainly not least, I'm now engaged and soon will be marrying my best friend. How abundant is God's goodness...

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The evening was growing late, as I sat down to do some reading and writing last night. I was reveling in the beauty of all the words and phrases before me, but from somewhere, a continuous tapping "greeted" my ears. Within a few moments, it was proving itself distracting, at best, and annoying, at worst. I looked around the room to find my brother, Bryan, working on his math...supposedly. :) He had managed, however, to slip into a pair of headphones and was enjoying some music, too. Not one to ever be a simple observer--a participator at heart--he was drumming along with his pencil. The whole scene might have been thought irksome, had not it proved comical within only a few more glances. As I watched the little fellow, I saw him drum not only the desk edge but, also, reach up and occasionally strike the shade of my mother's prized stained-glass lamp, as though it was a lowly high-hat. :) Oh, how I struggled not to laugh! He did, however, get quite an "exhortation" in the value of paying attention to his schoolwork and keeping his thoughts on the task at hand. :) I'm sure you'd have to be the oldest of five children in a home schooling family to understand the situation in which I found myself, but I thought it was rather humorous and that it might afford you a smile, too. :)

I've had plenty to keep me busy, throughout every day of this past week. A full listing of all my activities would, likely, produce only boredom, so I'll do you the kindness of not recounting every single detail. :) I will, however, tell you of my activities, last night...

My brother, Brent, and I sing in a Renaissance choir, and our holiday season just began...or at least, the rehearsals just began for all the Christmas concerts. I love the music, and the fellow musicians are really delightful. I've been given an excellent opportunity for growth, this year, because I'm singing alto in a formal setting, for the first time in about thirteen years. :) Long story short, the group had plenty of sopranos, the alto section needed help, and I was able to sing both parts...so...the new alto is "yours truly." :) Also, I'm quite fond of singing in foreign languages--especially the romantic Latin-based ones. This year, we're incorporating German, too, and I must be perfectly honest...it'll be a real stretch for me. I feel sorry for any German language experts out in the crowd! I'll be sure to let you all know how it turns out. :) All in all, everything should come together very nicely, by the time December greets us with its wintry winds.

I made myself promise I wouldn't write another chronicle; I'm really bad about that, I know. :) I do have a really humorous story to share, though. It comes from one of my sweet Grandma's "As the Farm Turns" emails, earlier this week. :) It is reprinted with permission, just in case any of you were wondering. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

On Friday, I had to run some errands in town, and while I was gone, Byron decided to move a round bale of hay down to the horse barn. He put the hay fork on the front of the tractor and got on it to go get the hay (he has to travel behind the house and on down the dirt road through the middle pasture and on to the north pasture to get it). As soon as he got on the tractor, a mouse tried to run up his pants leg. Needless to say, he had a conniption fit and knocked it off the tractor. Then, as he was coming up the driveway to the house, he saw the mouse (or his "brother" on the floorboard of the tractor again). He kicked the mouse off the tractor and it fell beneath the rear wheel so he ran over it. He then saw that the wheel missed it, and it was running in the grass toward the little gardening shed (behind the house). He decided he was going to try to run over it with his front wheel so he yanked the steering wheel to the right as he chased the mouse. He forgot that he had the hay fork on the front of the tractor and, all of a sudden, he heard a loud crash-bang! Alas, he ran the left fork into the wooden door of the gardening shed and it split the door and the metal front right side of the shed was pushed in with it. He then hastily decided he needed to back up and, as he did so, the door and the metal siding come out with the fork (way too far out)! He did repairs with lots of "jerry-rigging" and with lots of mutterings under his breath -- or out loud -- am glad I was not here!ha The door will close now, although it is askew, and the metal front side of the building has lots of new screws, and it is a little the worse for wear! I got so tickled at what he had done, that I almost laughed myself silly! Bet he doesn't go chasing mice with the hay fork on the front of the tractor again! Talk about "over-kill!"

I thought the story was so funny! The most humorous part is that it's completely unlike my usually assiduous Grandpa. :) Don't we all have moments like that? Those times of "What was I thinking?" come to all our lives, at one time or another. :) Perhaps, you are all completely sensible individuals and could teach me "a thing or two." Alright, I might as well be completely honest...one of my greatest faults is thinking too much. I'm sure I need no help, whatsoever, to become more contemplative than I already am. :)

Before I say good-bye, I'll share a favorite Scripture with all of you. Perhaps, it will cheer your countenance and encourage your heart, as it does mine. :)

"Thus says God, the Lord, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread out the earth and what comes from it, Who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it; 'I am the Lord; I have called You in My righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. I am the Lord; that is My name; My glory I give to no other, nor My praise to carved idols. Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.' "
--Isaiah 42:5-9--

Isn't that a wonderful promise? How very desperately I long to be used by the Lord as a "light for the nations." I think that's one reason I'm growing so excited about the ministry that is soon to be given in Scotland. The most precious times of my life have been spent in serving my glorious Savior, and only in recent years, have I come to know the deeper beauty of ministering in His name to foreign lands. I pray we will all grow to be "lights to the nations," starting with the hearts nearest to us, even now. So be strong and of good courage, my friends!

Enough said for one day, I suppose. I'll close this "longer-than-it-should've-been" letter and say farewell, for now. :) I hope you all enjoy a wonderful day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

As long as we "stay out of the action," it's almost humorous to "watch the egos fly." Isn't it? :)

I know exactly what you mean...it's always the "ghtchs" that get me, too. :)

Thanks for the hello! Have a great day!

P.S. 'Looking forward to your offertory on Sunday... :)

August 26, 2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

I miss you too!!

Here's the promised address;
LeTourneau University
Paige Garner CPO 664
PO Box 7001
Longview, TX 75607.

Have a beautiful trip!!! I love you, sweetie...

August 28, 2006 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home