For the Sake of the Call

...A small glimpse into the life of a girl who adores her Savior, Christ, and finds her delight in serving Him.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

I'm the eldest of five children in my family and love them all dearly. :) I've been a Christian since the age of five and have served in church ministry alongside my family for the past fifteen years. I love to sing and enjoy playing violin, piano, and harp, among other instruments. I've worked in the worship ministries of this area since the age of seven. I think I've found one of my life works in composing music; the Lord has sent many songs to me, and I'm trying to be faithful to share them with those for whom they were meant. I teach music lessons several days a week and have realized what a joy it is to influence so many children and others for good. Soon, I'll be opening a music store, Hearts' Home Acoustics, in Boerne, Texas with some precious friends. We'll specialize in exellent instruments and will have a music school, too. I've just graduated from Louisiana Baptist University with a major in Christian Education, a major in Music, and a minor in Bible Studies and Theology. What a blessing to have completed that chapter in my life! Last, but certainly not least, I'm now engaged and soon will be marrying my best friend. How abundant is God's goodness...

Monday, August 07, 2006

I'm enjoying the gentle lull of this Monday afternoon, long-since established as my substitutionary Sabbath day of rest. As far back as I can recall, my life has been enveloped by weekend ministry. I've always cherished the opportunities for service, but such a schedule can sometimes leave the servant in need of the rest and renewal they seek to bring to the hearts entrusted to their care. Therefore, I've always tried to set aside my Monday, at least, as a time to simply "be still, and know that He is God." I think our Father's pleased when we can just quietly enjoy His presence in our daily lives.

Yesterday was a wonderful day. :) The morning worship services went beautifully. Despite earthly complications and distractions, when is a precious time in God's presence not beautiful? :) My heart was given a great joy, when I stood--ever so quietly--and made my way to the front of the sanctuary to play the invitation song. A dear friend stole quickly and silently from the rear entrance of the room and gave me a hug. I haven't seen her in months, and she had just returned home, just that moment, from her travels. When I started singing the invitation, I had the memory of a sweet friend's embrace still warm upon my shoulders, and the gesture of kindness just reminded me how very much our Father must long to see us. Can you imagine how thrilled He will be to take us in His arms, when we, at last, come home from our sojourning of this vast earth? I love the tenderness of long-awaited reunion...

After a thoroughly enjoyable meal and fellowship with my sister-in-Christ and a few other dear friends, I met my mother, and we headed deep into our city's downtown area. Halfway through the drive, I stopped for a few moments at an HEB store and purchased some cheery blossoms. You see, I was a woman with a mission. :) The bright bouquet was filled with blooms of gold, vermilion, saffron, coral, and even celadon, and its sunny warmth was meant for the bedside of an old friend.

Two days ago, I was just putting a meal on the table for some dinner guests, when my phone starting ringing insistently in my pocket. Answering it, I found that the voice on the other end was my piano tuner's. For the last seventeen years, he's been the reason anyone is capable of being blessed by the worship my family has led in so many churches. :) Without him, the music would have seemed very dismally discordant, indeed. :)

Throughout the many years of the friendship that grew between him and my family, we've tried with all gentleness and sincerity to show Him the way to Jesus. He's been a member of a Unitarian Universalist congregation for as long as I can remember...You can't know how desperately I long for those I love to know the heart of my precious Savior. God has given many opportunities to simply share His ways, His Word, His love, and so much more. For that I am very grateful, and I still pray that God will bring my friend's heart to love Him--in spirit and truth.

Well, the piano tuner couldn't talk long--only long enough to let me know he'd had a heart attack and was somewhere in one of the downtown Baptist hospitals. The news certainly caught me off guard, and my heart was left in a very tender state, through the duration of the meal that night. Oh, but such gratitude was given to God, for my friend had been given the miracle of continued life.

The following day, Mother and Daddy were able to go visit him in the ICU, and yesterday was the first opportunity I'd been given to see him. As Mother and I drove deep into the heart of San Antonio, great, mountainous clouds could be seen forming, all across the horizon of my beloved city. I could tell a great storm was soon to find us, and the blackness of the clouds only deepened, as I neared the hospital.

Mother let me out at the emergency entrance (because it was partially covered), and I didn't reach the safety of the interior doors a moment too soon. The squall descended in fury over the city, and I felt as though I was going to be swept off my feet completely. Even though I survived the sudden coming of the storm, I figured my little bouquet certainly couldn't have. :) As I wove my way through seemingly endless hospital hallways, however, I checked on the flowers, and they were just fine--just a bit more "lively" than usual. :)

Within a few moments, I reached the doorway of my friend's room and was welcomed inside with a weak wave of his hand. I set the little arrangement on his table and stood there, talking a few moments with him. He couldn't believe someone had actually cared enough to bring him some "get-well-soon" flowers. You must understand, he's a quiet--almost eremitical--sort of fellow, and his true friends could be counted on one hand. Such a warmth flooded through my spirit, as I saw how deeply he had been touched...by the love in what I would have considered a very simple gesture of kindness and goodwill.

I was just turning to go, when he reached out his hand to try and grasp mine, and suddenly I found I was nearly crying, reflecting the rain drops now streaming down his window. In a fleeting moment, I thought how rarely we stop and realize how much people long to be touched. This world is a lonely place, even for those who have the Lord indwelling their heart--for we are to be strangers in this earth we roam--but can you imagine the loneliness that must engulf a heart, void of the comfort our Savior's presence brings?

Oh, yes, I took his hand...and prayed silently that he would learn to reach out to another hand--the hand of the One Whose love was my heart's source.

We have such a great responsibility, as children of God, to be His hands that touch a waiting world. Does that always mean grasping a frail hand in a dimly lit hospital room? I think not... There are flowers to be given, notes to be written, phone calls to be made, loving greetings to be spoken, shoulders to be offered in strength, embraces to uplift in times of sorrow, and smiles to daily remind humanity that there is something--Someone--higher, greater, and far lovelier that anything this world yet has known.

Be Christ's hands today, my dear friends, and ask Him how he would have you touch this world with His heart. It's a mystery to me...to think that the holy God would allow us to have some part in His dealings with the sons of men, but He does. He somehow grants us the joy of being His body here on earth, and I never want to make Him wish He had entrusted such care to someone else. I offer my humble "tryings"--sometimes failings--and He continues to glorify Himself through the lowly hands of a girl whose heart is with Him. Be willing to invest yourself in loving the many people He has placed around you--such an existence leaves immense joy in my spirit and newfound hope in others'.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

I didn't know that Don was in the hospital. I'll pray for him. I'm glad that he let you guys know about his heart attack.

August 07, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I am, too. It good to know that you're loved enough to be on someone's "call list" in times of need. :) Thanks for the prayers!

August 07, 2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

IT'S good to know. :) lol

August 07, 2006 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll pray for your friend tonight.
Also, I wanted to say that the place I find it easiest to be still and know that He is would probably be on Sunday mornings in that little gap between Sunday School and the start of church... when the praise team is still practicing and the sanctuary is filled with music and the low murmurs of the few early comers.
The music was very well done yesterday and I compliment the whole praise team on their handling of the few new pieces. In all honesty, though, Brent's violin sounded a little bit lonely.
Thank you for your comment- even the tiniest bit of feedback makes a world of difference to me!

August 07, 2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I was lonely to be joining him with my violin, too. :)

Remind me, someday, and I'll show you the words for a song I wrote about two years ago. It was called, "When Only You Can Hear", and if you like the quiet moments that come before the worship service begins, then you would probably be blessed by its lyrics. :)

I enjoy "the tiniest bit of feedback" from you, too. So thank you! :)

August 07, 2006 9:29 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

I LOVE YOU, AMY! I just saw you yesterday, but I already miss you again. *grin* I leave for Seattle in a few hours, but when I get back, we'll have to do lunch again...or *gasp* maybe even an entire evening! :p Don't forget: David's, fried fish, August 20th.

xoxo.

*scampers off to take a shower*

August 07, 2006 10:37 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

My dear Paigel, I assure you David's fish fry is well-marked in my memory...'should be a great night, and I'm looking forward to spending more time with you. (...and there's a piano to play, too!) :) Be sure to enjoy Seattle; I know you'll be loving all the rain that we'll be missing down here. :) Godspeed, dear one!

August 08, 2006 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home